It’s a marathon AND a sprint. Yes, it’s the 5th Great #QuaggyDuckRace, highlight of the final weekend of the 2019 Hither Green Festival. Great prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and last places. The winning Quaggy Duck will also lift the prized Quaggy Kingfisher Trophy. To...read more
Step on it: what the drain and footway covers and other street furniture we walk over every day reveal about our past – 15 May 2019
There’s more to drain covers than meets the eye. Join us to hear from Richard Buchanan of Woolwich & District Antiquarian Society about what 19th and 20th century drain covers and other street furniture reveal, and the clues they contain, about our urban...read more
Join QWAG’s Pamela Zollicoffer to reimagine the great flood of 1968. This walk from Lewisham railway station to Lee Green you will replay the experience, compare views now with archive photos of the time and hear how people reacted and coped to much of Lewisham being...read more
To start our AGM our famous buffet is served from 7pm. From 8pm we review the past year, our finances and elect trustees and committee members for 2019-20. Then we’ll hear about London’s Liquid Assets: Prehistoric finds from the River Thames from Jon Cotton, a...read more
50 years ago, in September 1968, Lewisham was under water from a huge storm and flooding including from the Quaggy and Ravensbourne rivers. What happened and why? Using amazing archive pictures Emily Hay (who remembers the floods as a childread more
Oasis of nature: Maintaining a nature reserve hemmed in by industry, roads and housing, Martin Watts & Linda Graham – 21st Nov 2018
There’s a treasure trove of a nature reserve deep in south London and bounded by busy built development.
Can you guess location of what could be south east London’s best kept secret?
Beneath our Feet: The geological history of Lewisham, the Ravensbourne valley and the Lady’s well & Spring, Phil Laurie – 19th Sept 2018
The rivers we care for have shaped and sculpted the landscape carving into sands, soils and rocks beneath our feet. In turn streams and waterways are shaped by the underlying geology.read more
On the streets where we live with street tree champion and author of ‘London’s Street Trees – a Field Guide to the Urban Forest’, Paul Wood. In our busy lives do we admire or ignore our street trees?
London is known for its London Planes which are only 3% but do you know the other 97%?
Join the 10th 3 Rivers Clean Up (3RCU) the UK’s largest community led event of its kind – all equipment provided, just turn up and you’ll: Meet others, get a Quaggy Duck’s eye-view and a new sense of your area Help keep our local rivers clear of harmful plastic and...read more
On your marks… get set… Quack!
Yes, it’s the 4th Great #QuaggyDuckRace – highlight of the final weekend of the 2018 Hither Green Festival.
Which Quaggy Duck will win the prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and last places?!
Join QWAG for a free, 2 hour (11am to 1pm) Sunday spring walk, with SE London explorer, Paul Browning aka @RunningPast. First, we will follow the course of Lower Kid Brook from the River Quaggy in central Lewisham to Blackheath, discovering the history and geography...read more
In our busy lives do we admire or ignore our street trees?
London is known for its London Planes but these make up less than 3% of all species of street trees in the capital. Do you know the other 97%?read more
QWAG meeting – Prams, shopping trollies & trash screens, Jack Hayes and Stuart Rapson – 16th May 2018
Sutcliffe Park is where QWAG first persuaded the authorities to back proper river restoration instead of insisting on keeping our rivers out of sight in underground concrete culverts.read more
QWAG’s famous light buffet – Annual General Meeting – 10 Years of the 3 Rivers Clean Up (3RCU) with special guest panel.
Have you been on a river clean up? Can you remember the first 3RCU in 2008? Our guest panellists can – just about.
How much wildlife can you find in your local park? Special guest speaker, Penny Metal, has discovered over 500 different species of insect alone in a humble south east London park. That goes to show just how much nature is under our noses if we care to look, and if...read more